Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bloched


Last spring I had the chance to visit the Carl Bloch exhibit in Provo, Utah.  It was, in a word, magnificent.  So inspiring and beautiful.  I have an artist's heart, but I have not been blessed with an artist's eye or hands, and so I must content myself with looking at the masterpieces of others.  Ohhh, and what a master Bloch is.  I was touched most deeply by his sympathy for the human condition.  I think that quality is what gave him his ability to depict the Savior so powerfully.  That, and this little quote that explains so much of his process:

"God helps me--that's what I think--and then I am calm." --Carl Bloch

I wrote it down on a little scrap of paper and have been carrying it with me ever since.  Like Bloch I believe there is a higher power that can help me.  And I know when He is present I am calm, even amidst the storm.  I think He can help me today.  And every day.

I am not an artist.  But I am a creator.  We all are.  Creating and crafting moments that, at the end of our lives, can be our masterpiece.  So inspiring.  So beautiful.  And God helps us--that's what I think, too.

3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I love that. I was just pondering that very concept. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your recent essays. Haven't commented due to my great laziness but I have loved them. You have a great talent!

skideewink said...

I love this and have tears in my eyes. I don't know if you even remember our family from Riverton, WY. I am Dee Jordan and married to Cody. We also call our home the Tea Party House. I saw your blog through Liz Ferris. You are a wonderful writer and Mother. I will never forget the sound of your voice. Thank you for sharing just a tiny fraction of your soul with us.

Laurel said...

Hi Dee! Wow, how great to run into you again!!! Thank you for saying hello and your kindness. It made my day. The ability to connect with people is one of the reasons I love blogging. So glad we could reconnect!