Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Our Apologies, Mrs. Olson

The first thing I noticed when Griffin got in the car on the warm spring day was the sweat beads across his freckled nose.  The second was his impish smile.  "Hi, buddy!  How was your day?"

His smiled dimmed a bit.  "Not good."

As this is his go-to response, I chided him, "What?!  What do you mean you didn't have a good day?"

"I got a yellow card," he admitted while clearly trying to hide the trace of a grin.

"No you didn't!" I cried, sure he was joking.  His current favorite activity is pulling my leg any chance he gets.

"I did!" he said, his eyes twinkling.

"Nu-uh."

"Uh-huh."

"Are you kidding me?"  I was truly becoming confused.

"No," he laughed.

"You better not have gotten a yellow card," I was now officially nervous.

"I did.  Look," he said opening his backpack.

I glanced at his teacher's note, which said:  "Yellow Card: hit poked Mrs. Olson's bottom."

"What?!  You poked your teacher's aide's bottom?!"

"No!  I didn't poke it!  I just touched it--like this!" he said, his pointer finger outstretched.

"Griffin!"  Now it was my chance to stifle a grin.  I do not approve of bum-touching, but this boy is always a surprise.

"I know.  Are you mad?

"Well, son, I'm not mad.  I'm just disappointed.  I've taught you better than that."

"You never taught me that!" he argued.

"Griffin."  I had my mommy voice on now for sure.  "Is a bottom a private part of someone's body?"

"Yes."

"And do we ever touch any private parts of anybody's body?"

"No..."

"Okay, then.  I have taught you that, and you knew it was wrong even when you were doing it!"  I really should have been a lawyer.

"I know."

"Then what were you thinking, son?"

"Well...it was right there--" he held his hand in front of his face, "--and Jade told me that she would invite me to her party if I touched it."

...Mmm hmm.  That had better be some party.

11 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I am SO laughing out loud!!! Oh my. I needed a good laugh today. And how!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Okay...this is just to funny! Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

I love reading your blog, makes me smile all the time......and makes thankful my child rearing days are over.

Laurel said...

i can't stand how much i love this.

seriously.
lunch.

Deanna said...

I love how hearing about your children and your life makes me feel so normal.Oh how I wish we lived closer together... the fun our kids would have togethr:) that could be dangerous! But the fun we would have trying to outsmart them...(that could be even more dangerous)!lol

Jennifer said...

Stephen says he wants to see what Mrs. Olson looks like, and "Can I be invited to that party?"

Incidentally, I could so see Connor doing this, but the fact that it's somebody else's son means I can really laugh out loud!

Lisa-Marie said...

All my kids in the other room are wondering what mommy thinks is so funny at 7:00 in the morning. I am in fits of giggles!

What a funny kiddo.

Ella said...

Oh dear! My sister-in-law told me once that you should never ask a kid why they did something - they don't know, they just do things. Something about impulse control not being fully developed (yes, she's an early childhood educator). Doesn't matter, I always ask WHY DID YOU DO THAT anyway. And it is during moments like this I remember your long ago comment, Laurel, that being a Mom is not for the proud. Boy were you ever right. Just gotta love them . . . just gotta love them!

The Kriloff Klan said...

I was laughing even before I started reading!!! Love this one!!

Leandra said...

You are in trouble with that one! Too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my! How funny is that? Did you keep a straight face?
Sometimes I have that problem when dealing with kids...they just make me laugh, even if it wasn't right:)