Thursday, March 12, 2009

A First Timer Tells All...Mostly


I was a total first timer. Just to give you an idea of exactly how naive I was about many birthing facts, I'll tell you this: I thought that when the doctor checked for dilation, it was a sort of spot check. Like he'd get in a catcher's position and sort of eyeball it. Maybe use some sort of tape measure or something.

The first clue that I had it wrong was when my doctor said, "You may think I'm reaching for your tonsils." The next was when I literally saw stars. It was so much worse than your run of the mill gyno exam. Especially when, come to find out, I was dilated to a ZERO. Like I said, so much worse. And then I had to come to terms with the fact that I was going to have to endure this every week until delivery. It was enough to make tears come to my eyes.

My major concern as a first timer was the epidural. I was not about to miss my window of opportunity there. Oh, no. Hearing all this business about women who arrived at the hospital too late, or the baby was already crowning...that was not going to be me. So one of my first questions to my nurse (whom we'll call Gigi) was, "Look. I don't mean to be a baby or anything, but I am wondering, when exactly do I ask for an epidural? I don't want to miss it, you know."

She laughed, I think looking back on it a bit diabolically. "Oh, you won't miss it. With a first pregnancy, your labor could go for 24 hours, and you'll know when you need it." I think it is quite possible that Gigi was trained by the Gestapo. She was nice enough and very knowledgeable, but she clearly did not have a problem with pain, as became evident when she said, "What we're looking for is a consistent labor pattern with strong contractions because you don't want to slow things down too much. I think your pain goal should be about a 9."

Pain goal? Nine?? What??? Should I actually have a "pain goal?" Those words don't seem to go together. I thought the whole ideology behind the epidural was the avoidance of pain. Not setting goals for enduring it. And a nine on a scale of 1-10? That's some pretty heavy duty pain in my mind. But like a good first timer I trusted my nurse and settled in for the long haul. "Nine. Hmmm...what does nine feel like, anyway?" I asked myself. "A 10 should be an intolerable sort of pain, so a nine would be somewhere near unbearable."

I had been hooked up to the pitocin for 3 hours and 45 minutes before I felt the first contraction that knocked the wind out of me. I tried to relax. Tried to breathe. I felt pretty proud for about a minute and a half, then the next one hit, and again and again. Wave upon wave. I couldn't get on top of the pain. "If I had some time to rest between I would--" Another contraction hit.

At 11:30 I asked Thomas, "Where is my mom? When is she coming?" Mom arrived close to 12:00, just in time to hear me say, "I can't lay down. I've got to get up. Help me up!" Thomas pulled me to my knees and I threw my arms around his neck burying my face in his chest. "I've got you," he soothed, as the pain made my body go weak.

And then my first birthing miracle occurred. Gigi had to leave to deliver another baby. Nurse #2 entered the room and within two minutes said, "Would you like something for the pain?"

"Yes! What are my options?"

"Well, would you like your epidural?"

"What? Yes! Now. Immediately if possible." I never saw her again, but she has my undying love. The anaesthesiologist was not long before coming in. "Now this might hurt," he warned. But it didn't. The little pinching I felt did not even compare to the hour and a half before it, and then came the drugs: cold loveliness across my shoulder and back. I began to relax, and as I felt the pain blessedly begin to subside, I thought, "I'll never be a first timer again. Huh, nine, shmine! Give my regards to the gestapo, Gigi!"

13 comments:

Laurel said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of birthing a baby. Upon arrival at the hospital is when I insist on getting my epidural...I am glad you had a nurse #2 to make sure you got yours :)

Kyle said...

You are hilarious!! Brooke told me that the your "pain goal was nine"...my pain goal is a 1 :)
What is up with the nurse setting a "pain goal" for you???
I'm glad you had your epidural...with Ben I "missed my opportunity" and I hope that doesn't happen again!

The Leithead Family said...

I did some contraction time before my emergency c-section. It was terrible, terrible, terrible. When they said they were going to have to do a c-section, I almost jumped for joy!! :) ha ha!! And I had one of those nazi nurses that made me walk down a mile-long hallway during my contractions to get to the OR! I don't know if she had never heard of a wheelchair or what! Thank goodness for your nurse #2!! Bless her heart!! Your little Lincoln is beautiful!!

Stacey said...

I am glad you had your epidural! I missed mine with Britt and the rest were c-section. You have a great way of writing. Glad it is over for you and thank heavens for your #2 nurse!! :)

Aubrey said...

Yes, NEVER listen to the nurses--they're full of crap. Clearly the second nurse was the smart one.

Rochelleht said...

LOVE IT!! So funny. This is great for me as I have never given birth the traditional way. They don't have pain scales with c-sections. At least not before the baby comes...

Shana said...

Nurses like that should not be allowed in the birth/labor rooms. Shooting for a pain of a 9 before asking for something!? What!? Does she give out trophies to new mommies that go that long without drugs? I don't think so.
If my body is going to go through all that it does during labor and delivery-I might as well enjoy it the most that I can. Epidurals are the BEST aren't they? I don't know why anyone would want to feel ALL of labor. Those women are nut jobs for sure!
I told the anesthesiologist that I loved him after he put my epidural in. I felt effects of it in about 5minutes. Ahhhh....I was in heaven! Until I had to push that is. :)
I 'm glad you had a nice nurse that came in to save you from nurse ratchett.

Anonymous said...

That damn Gigi better not run into me in a dark alley. My preppy, Percocet lovin' ass will be all over her. Next time I will be there with you guys assisting with whatever needs to be assisted and I'll bring my own little medicine kit with me...you and Thomas and I won't feel a thing sweetheart. Now, should I wear my blue or green scrubs?

Jennifer said...

Your account of the labor pains is exactly why I can't even stomach the thought of going through it for a third time. Seriously...am I the only one who felt anxiety reading your post? I don't care what anyone says - you never "forget" the pain! (though it sure is worth it)

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

That is hilarious! A pain goal, I'm with your friend, mine will be a, oh lets say, a 1 :o)

Sher said...

My experience with the epidural was the exact opposite. I guess it was the hospital. They were so eager to give me the epidural so soon, that I felt like I wasn't ready. My first baby, I didn't feel any contractions. Not one. I felt gypped that I'd gone through labor and had a baby, and didn't know what a contraction felt like.

p.s. So, are you ever going to respond about winning my giveaway? Do you realize how badly I want to eat the treats that I have stashed away for you? I might just have to eat them myself and give the CD away to someone else.
Or you can email me your address and I'll send it to you.
pianorunner@yahoo.com

Chrissy said...

Haha, sounds so similar to my experience, I love it!

Anonymous said...

I sure miss you! Your posts are always so well-written and witty! They always make me laugh and brighten my day. I think you were a great first timer! I am so thrilled for you! I need to get out there to see you soon!