Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Love 'Em and Leave 'Em

I am in the middle of a love affair.  It's true.  And it's breaking my heart because I know it can't last.  I guess we just got the timing wrong...

See, the thing is, I really love my house.  I do.  I fell even more deeply, head over heels in love during the holidays when I saw just how much it could do.  It can wrap its arms around a lot of people and give them all a place to rest.  It can invite a crowd around a dinner table.  It can encourage people to lay back, put their feet up,  and take a nap.  It can let the adults talk downstairs while the kids get as squirrely as they want everywhere else.  It's a good house, and I love it.

Maybe I love it even more because I know we are leaving.  In about 5-6 months we will be driving away from Mesa onto new adventures.  My Mr. Wicke has a new job that looks to take us to Southern California (placement to be determined around May) and I am a little broken hearted.  This was supposed to be our forever house.  The one where we stay and put down roots.  That was the plan...

That just isn't how it's going down.  And I know it's a good job.  It's a good opportunity.  And I love California.  But I can't help being a little sad for us.  Because I'm in love, and not just with the house, but with the people that come and go through its doors.  The people who have made this house our home.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I know you don't know exactly where you will be, but know that Southern California is ready to welcome you with wide arms open!!

tawnya said...

Oh, Laurel! I know that feeling. Sigh...

Where in SoCal? We lived in San Diego for 4 years. And we'll be in Mesa in early April. You'll still be around, then?

Angie said...

Can we please not talk about this. I'm in denial!!!

The Kriloff Klan said...

Great now I am in tears.....again!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I know how you feel girl! I just left my dream home, the place where I wanted our roots to be. It is one of the hardest things we have ever gone through. At least your children are young and the move should go well for them. My Senior and Sophomore were not happy at all and it hasn't helped that I have been a BIG brat as well.
6 Months later I'm still wishing we could go back but I know this is where we need to be. Now i just need to sell that "dream" home in UT and all will be well.
Good Luck my friend!

The Leithead Family said...

ah...heart-breaking! i wish you the best wherever you may go. and i wish you a new love affair with a new home and new friends! good luck to you.

Britany said...

I had heard this rumor... sad! :(

Rochelleht said...

Oh wow! So glad he has a job but WOW. So hard to leave a great home. I couldn't imagine at this point. We've been here for 14 years.

Maybe Disneyland season passes could soften the blow??

Good luck!!!!!

Ella said...

Just heard about your move via the Cowley grapevine. Happy for the new job, sorry for the move. I guess California just needs a little more sunshine (a.k.a. you & yours). Good luck with everything!